Monday, August 4, 2008

Carlton Kayak Rally

Being my first kayak rally, I wasn't sure what to expect. But I sure did meet a lot of nice people- most with a kayak wrapped around them. Was great fun watching, but not certain I'm going to do this kind of thing on purpose.
There were a few flips and dunkings and a couple of rollouts, but no one lost their wrappings. Sure was a tremendous amount of fast and furious paddling to get those raft switching direction and headed into the chute, heading around the boulders and aimed in the right direction.









Going through the chutes or getting caught in the hydraulic below the small falls, the racers were having a blast of a time. There were more kayak designs in evidence than I had imagined there would be at something like this- fully expecting to see only the short slalom style boats.


Makes a person wonder how these little craft can take the beating they sometimes get. But I'm sure glad they can!


The week end wasn't a total loss, anyway- people made it interesting and got a few shots I think readers may enjoy, so rather than talk about it, I'll put a couple pix in and call it 'fun'.
Some of this looked like so much fun I bet a few politicians are trying to legislate against it.
I need to learn how to add more shots to the page than what these folks are allowing...hmm...I wonder...
"Don't wonder too far or you'll get lost," an old friend used to tell me. So, better quit while I'm ahead.
SunDog hasn't been getting much exercise the last month- pretty darn busy getting ready for winter. (I know, it's only August, but there's lots to do yet and it can't all be fun.) We did make it to the Clan Gathering last week end, got out on the West Two River and managed to get a pair of sun glasses sucked right off my face. Had the good fortune of watching them drift out of sight into that muddy green water. Shucks- another $15 down the drain. The family reunion was fun: got to introduce a couple clan members into kayaking, they loved it. One had such a great time I began to think I was either going to lose the kayak to her or she was going to get lost and miss her ride home. Hers was the biggest kayak-eating grin I've ever seen. She sure enjoyed herself once getting over the fear of tipping and figuring how the paddle works.

Otherwise, despite some really beauty days, it's been all work and no playing on the river for this kid. Things will slow down a bit next week, though, and I'll be able to enjoy myself a bit more. Besides, I need to get the larder full of fish for winter and what better way than from the deck of the SunDog?



Later, All. Keep the wind at your back and the bubble topside.



SunDog.

No comments:

Post a Comment